Sunday, October 25, 2009

Norden Park

I've been tracking the situation at Norden Park for years. I actually became very interested in the property when I turned 16. That is one of the places where I learned how to drive. I never realized how expansive the place was until that time. I'd be willing to bet a good portion of Norwalk doesn't know it exists, and even for those that are familiar with it, I'd bet even fewer know how truly large the property is.

For those of you that aren't familiar with the property, or the situation let me give you a brief synopsis. Spinnaker Real Estate Partners owns the property and is looking to develop it with a 240 unit apartment building and four single family homes. It is currently a restricted industrial zone, and would need to be changed into a multi-family/residential zone. They're specifically talking about 38.4 acres of the property which is behind what is currently Norden Park's main building. The property is vacant with some wetlands.

Spinnaker is a very qualified developer who has already done several redevelopment projects in South Norwalk. It also is currently in charge of the large 95/7 redevelopment off of West Avenue.

My concern for Norwalk is something that is as rudimentary as supply and demand. Before we go approving another redevelopment project, why don't we see the effects of the ones we've already had approved. Recently Westport 597 (which is in Norwalk), had over 200 units of Apartments finished. Avalon is in the process of building over 300 units of apartments on the corner of the Post Road and Belden. That'll be over new 500 units of housing coming by summer 2010, that'll need to be filled. Combine that with the 245 rental properties on the market (according to the MLS), and we'll have roughly 750 available housing units in Norwalk. If the Norden Park project is approved, that'll take that number to over 1,000 housing units available in Norwalk. In an market that doesn't strike me as a good thing, especially in a down housing market.

I'm not even taking into account the approved developments at 95/7, as well as West Avenue and the two wall street ones. I'm also not taking into account all the additional vacancies in Norwalk as you drive around. Whether it be single family homes, commercial buildings, land, or industrial buildings. It would behoove Norwalk, to fill up our current vacancies before creating more.

I am all for the redevelopment and improvement of Norwalk. I want to see projects get approved. Particularly well planned out ones, by good developers. Yet, at this juncture, I think it's wiser to hold off on entertaining any new developments. Lets focus on the ones we've already approved panning out, and filling our already vacant properties. I'd like to ensure Norwalk as a town that continually moves forward and improves. Not one with too many vacancies that may cause a setback in our development.

No comments:

Post a Comment